[Sitemaps] Creating Sitemap.xml for Non-WordPress Websites
Sitemap.xml file is an integral part of a good and optimized website. Sitemaps are an easy way for webmasters to inform search engines about pages on their sites that are available for crawling. By creating and submitting Sitemaps to search engines, you are more likely to get better freshness and coverage in search engines. Sitemaps are also preferred to be the first step while doing SEO (Search Engine optimization)
Creating a Sitemap.xml for a WordPress blog can be very easy. You just have to download a effective plugin and upload it on your wp-includes>>plugin folder and activate it and you are good to go.
But generating a sitemap.xml file for non WP sites like portals and forums etc. can be a bit tricky and cumbersome job. In this article today I will list some of the ways and tools on how to create sitemaps for your websites. You can generate sitemaps for your websites by using either of the following ways depending upon the requirements.
- Server side Programs
- CMS and other Plugins
- Downloadable Tools
- Online Generators/Services
- Code Snippets and Libraries.
All the below mentioned tools and services are completely free ways of generating sitemaps. There are paid services also to do some additional customizations to your sitemaps.
Server Side Programs
- The first way to build a sitemap for your site is by using the Google Sitemap Generator. For Install instructions about this sitemap please refer to http://googlesitemapgenerator.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/gsg-installation.html
- Python Sitemap Generator
CMS and other Plugins
- Drupal Website Sitemap Generator
- VBulletin Forum Sitemap Generator
- ASP .NET Sitemap Generator
- OSCommerce ECommerce Website Sitemap Generator
GSiteCraweler (For Windows)
Free Online Services
Class Libraries for Sitemap Generation
After you have created your sitemap its time to submit it to the google with Google Webmaster Tools. If you have any questions about Sitemaps please feel free to ask via comments.