NoSQL and its applications
NoSQL supports key-value stores, big table, document store and graphic databases. It offers high performance, rich query language, easy scalability and speed. NoSQL databases are unique and they are independent from Structured Query Language (SQL). SQL is generally used by relational databases as the domain-specific language. Let us discuss Apache Cassandra NoSQL database and its applications in Industry.
Apache Cassandra database offers scalability and high availability. It has proven fault-tolerance on commodity hardware and mission-critical data. Most companies have realized benefits running their applications on Apache Cassandra. The database is capable of handling all the big data, coupled with high performance, security, and easy management. Some the companies using Cassandra as their data store are listed below:
1. Adgear: Adgear use Cassandra as the data store. They collect data about the users which help them to deliver better quality and targeted ads. They manage distinct data centers consisting of different replication properties. Adgear runs on high-end Dell servers and Apache Cassandra is their data store for online advertising.
2. Comcast: Comcast have a new setup box to get detailed information about live supporting events. Cassandra is offering them linear scalability, high availability and cross data center replication. It works internally and gives more successful designing systems.
3. GoDaddy: Go Daddy uses Cassandra because of its built-in replication features and high performance. Being the largest platform for small businesses, Go Daddy uses this NoSQL database as their transaction logging data store.
4. Sky: Sky is using a Cassandra database to support its on-line shopping services. It has stopped using Oracle relational database as they were out of control of the shopping basket. Sky is getting high performance from Cassandra and the customers are finding the shopping journey easier.
5. Ebay: Ebay is using storing user activity data on Cassandra. The behavioural data between users and items is recorded in real-time. Cassandra is helpful and looks up historical behavior data quickly. It is well-suited to store graph structures and it far better than other alternatives.
6. Spotify: Spotify is a streaming music web service, consisting of millions of music tracks. Data about playlists, radio stations, notification pop ups and the list of artists is stored in Cassandra. Apache Cassandra stores the data and the underlying algorithms like well-maintained code base and its performance is highly satisfactory.
7. Hulu: Hulu is an online video service offering movies, clips and hit TV shows. Cassandra helps to store subscriber watch history which is useful for real-time access. Cassandra offers multi data center replication and great flexibility.
8. Software projects: Cassandra is the primary data store for most e-commerce transactions. It helps to store date of financial transactions, client shopping carts and offers a unique platform. Software projects that were earlier running on multiple data centers are relying on Cassandra for better built-in internal tuning.