Sitemap is an integral part of any good website or blog. I must say that search engines love to see it. Sitemaps is also a good way of getting all your web pages indexed. While doing SEO the Sitemap is a great tool for SEOs.What sitemaps tell the search engine about your website is about the frequency of of changes in the pages of your website, the links to be indexed by the Search engine, the priority of the changes to different pages across the website.
Some of the types are:
- XML Sitemaps
- HTML sitemaps
- ROR or Archievd Sitemaps
- Mobile(XML) Sitemaps
Some of the Google Guidelines about why you should have the sitemaps as part of your website.
- Your site has dynamic content.
- Your site has pages that aren’t easily discovered by Googlebot during the crawl process—for example, pages featuring rich AJAX or images.
- Your site is new and has few links to it.
- Your site has a large archive of content pages that are not well linked to each other, or are not linked at all.
Assuming that you have created the sitemap for your website or blog, lets start with how do we submit all these sitamaps to google which is the major search engines with nearly 77% of the total market share.
Google – Submitting a sitemap to google is easy. Just follow these steps
- Go to Google Webmasters Central tools. Here is the link http://www.google.com/webmasters/.
- Now login to your account. This will redirect you to the webmasters control panel.
- Add your Website for which you want to submit the sitemap, by clicking Add Site Button.
- After you have added your website, next step is to submit your sitemap. In the sidebar of the control panel you will see the option Site Configuration.
- Click the plus sign and you will see Sitemap option under it. By clicking this option you can submit your sitemap. SUBMIT SITEMAP.
- Usually the Sitemap is downloaded by google withing 24 hours and the links in that sitemap begin to be indexed.
Now in the next post I will talk about how to create these sitemaps for every type of website and how to submit them to Bing and Yahoo. Comment about the problems you have whne ubmitting your sitemap. I am ready to help you.